The Wake County Facilities Design & Construction department plays a leadership role in developing and implementing a fiscally responsible capital improvement program for Wake County. This includes managing all capital projects and real estate assignments for County departments and the Board of Commissioners.
Capital Improvement Projects
This department manages the planning, design and construction of all capital improvement projects undertaken by the County. Capital projects are directed by experienced project managers from the planning stages through the construction and warranty phases. All design services, construction work, materials testing and various other services are outsourced to private firms through competitive procurement methods as allowed by North Carolina General Statutes.
Real Estate Projects
This department also provides the land rights management services for public buildings, parks, open space preserves, flood control projects and public reservoirs for Wake County Government as follows:
- Capital project site acquisitions
- Open Space preserve property acquisitions
- Negotiation of easements, encroachments and rights of way
- Negotiation of long-term property and facility leases
- Disposition of surplus property
Intergovernmental and Nonprofit Partnerships
In order to leverage outside resources and maximize the County's returns on investments, the Facilities Design & Construction department takes a proactive approach to building partnerships with:
- Other local governments
- State and federal institutions
- Local school and community college organizations
- Private and nonprofit groups