Breastfeeding is one of the best things that a new mom can do for her baby, which is why breastfeeding support is such a high priority of the WIC program. All staff on the Wake County WIC team is dedicated to supporting breastfeeding, both before and after the baby arrives.
Every mom that decides to breastfeed her baby is giving her baby a head start on fighting infections and helping protect the baby from illnesses. Support during the breastfeeding journey lets families know that WIC is there to help in every step of the way, no matter what level of support is needed.
Contact a WIC Breastfeeding peer counselor
- Call the Breastfeeding Warm Line at 919-250-4720 option 6 or 919-250-1213
- Fax referrals for Breastfeeding Support (including breast pump assessments) to 919-212-7558
- WIC Prenatal Breastfeeding Referral Form
- WIC Postpartum Breastfeeding Referral Form
- You may request a breastfeeding consult at any Wake County WIC office visit, just let any WIC staff know.
Giving the mom and family of the infant the tools and support needed for a successful breastfeeding experience is a goal of the Wake County WIC program. Dedicated and trained staff give families individualized education and guidance to help meet the breastfeeding goals of every mom and baby on WIC.
Breastfeeding supplies and pumps
The Wake County WIC Program offers guidance on breast milk expression and provides a breast pump to fit the needs of the family. Breast pump and supply assessments can be done at your WIC appointment or by request. Breastfeeding moms are also taught a valuable technique of how to remove milk by hand, also known as hand expression.
- USDA WIC Breastfeeding and Support
- North Carolina Nutrition Services Branch Blueprint for Action, NC Maternity Center Breastfeeding-Friendly Designation Program, and how businesses can become breastfeeding-friendly
- The US Department of Health and Human Services provides breastfeeding information for families in English and Spanish
Call: 1-800-994-9662, TDD 1-888-220-5446
- The U.S. Breastfeeding Committee is a collaborative partnership of organizations whose mission is to protect, promote and support breastfeeding in the United States
- The American Academy of Pediatrics information about breastfeeding for families in the United States
- Nursing Mothers of Raleigh – Wake County support group with meetings and information for breastfeeding mothers and families
- La Leche League – a local and national organization providing education, information, support and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed
- Triangle Breastfeeding Alliance – healthcare professionals working to increase networking and education for those who provide care to Triangle breastfeeding families.
Resources in Wake County
- ZipMilk NC – North Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition listings for breastfeeding resources based on ZIP code
- KellyMom.com support and evidence-based information on breastfeeding, sleep and parenting