Wake County's Soil and Water Conservation staff assist farmers, operators, landowners and citizens on a voluntary basis with natural resource concerns in partnership with USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service, North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Soil and Water Conservation, and the North Carolina Soil and Water Conservation Commission.
Technical Services are provided to landowners in Wake County with natural resource concerns.
Contact us for assistance with:
- Conservation Plans
- Crop Rotations
- Erosion problems
- Nutrient Management
- Livestock Exclusion and Fencing
- Soil Quality
- Voluntary Agricultural District Program
- Water Quantity issues-irrigation and agricultural wells
- Wildlife Enhancement (small game, habitat management)
Cost Share Programs and Grants
NC Division of Soil & Water Conservation Cost Share Programs
North Carolina Agriculture Cost Share program (NCACSP)
NCACSP reduces agricultural non-point source pollution from entering North Carolina waterways. It also improves water quality by reducing the delivery of nutrients, sediment and pesticides. Applications are ranked based on resource concerns identified in the county. Applicants can be reimbursed up to 75 percent of a predetermined average cost for each BMP installed. The applicant is responsible for 25 percent of the costs. This may include the use of existing material and labor.
Agriculture Water Resources Assistance program (AgWRAP)
AgWRAP increases water use efficiency, availability, and storage for agricultural operations. It also implements best management practices to conserve and protect water resources for agricultural operations. The Soil and Water Conservation Commission allocated 70% of available BMP funding for district allocations for all approved AgWRAP BMPs. The remaining 30% will be allocated for new ponds, pond repair/retrofits, water collection and reuse systems, conservation irrigation conversions, and micro-irrigation system conversions through a competitive regional application process.
NC Foundation for Soil and Water Conservation
NC Foundation for Soil and Water Conservation Programs
Please refer to the North Carolina Foundation for Soil and Water Conservation's website for more details.
USDA – NRCS Programs
Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP)
EQIP is a voluntary conservation program for farmers that grow agricultural products. It offers financial and technical assistance for structural and management practices for eligible agricultural land. The 2018 Farm Bill requires a national 10 percent of mandatory program funding be targeted towards source water protection. States will identify priority source water protection areas and may offer increased incentives and higher payment rates for practices that address water quality and/or water quantity. Together, NRCS and producers invest in solutions that conserve natural resources for the future while also improving agricultural operations.
Conservation Reserve Program (CRP)
CRP provides technical and financial assistance to eligible farmers to address soil, water, and related natural resource concerns and their lands. Participants enroll in CRP contracts for 10 to 15 years. USDA's Farm Service Agency administers CRP, while technical support functions are provided by USDA's Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS), USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture, State forestry agencies, local soil and water conservation districts, and private sector providers of technical assistance. Acreage enrolled in the CRP is planted to resource-conserving vegetative covers, which protects millions of acres of topsoil from erosion, improves water quality by reducing runoff and sedimentation, and provides wildlife habitat. The CRP continuous signup is ongoing.
Wake County Programs
Wake County Open Space
Wake County's Open Space Program, the first of its kind in North Carolina, protects remaining open space in the county by working in partnership with local NGOs, municipalities and state/federal agencies. The program's overarching objective is to protect 30% of Wake County’s land area (or roughly 165,000 acres) as permanent open space. For more information, visit Wake County’s Open Space website.